The recent passing of TV game show host Richard Dawson has me feeling a little Family-Feudish.
By the way, I know someone who knows someone who was once on Family Feud. Are you impressed?
You wouldn’t be impressed if I were playing.
You know it goes: Contestants are asked to “Name something that …” as they aim to match their answers with answers of others on their team, as well as with survey responses cast by the audience. If instructed to name something you would find your refrigerator, for example, you might say “milk,” knowing that might be a popular—and hence, high scoring—answer.
If I were to be truthful I’d say “a canister of 35-millimeter film,” or today, “a brick.” But then I’d likely win no points for a match.
Suppose I asked you to Name Something You Would Take on a Beach Vacation. Would you say, an umbrella, a good book, a Frisbee perhaps?
If I were playing Family Feud, perhaps I’d name those things too. But what if I were answering based solely on what I need to occupy a particular cottage, one that is perfectly situated on a beautiful beach, but is ill-equipped to handle my needs?
How many points would I earn I earn if I told you truthfully what will soon go into the trunk of my car?
- A specialty whisk, two knives and a cheese grater
- A pesto torte, along with the clay brick that makes it mmm-mm good
- A bottle of homemade ginger walnut salad dressing
- A jar of lemon curd (you never know when you’ll need one)
- Fresh mint, for making chilled cucumber soup
- Apples to Apples, Taboo and Boggle, three must-play beach cottage games
- A bathroom rug
- A sound machine, for playing my carefully constructed beach playlists
- A noise machine, in case the Atlantic isn’t white noise enough
- A large E-Z UP canopy, to shade our dune deck during Happy Hour (when we’re sipping cucumber soup, of course)
Say the game were reversed, you were packing for vacation, but you got points for unique answers.
4 responses to “Survey says…”
Doesn’t everyone have a spare brick in their Fridge for the making of a “cheese loaf”?! I knew exactly what it was for when I read it, LOL. How bout I just load myself into your trunk so I can play Boggle with you. Anotther great game is SCATTERGORIES…we never leave home without it! Love to all the Welches xoxoxoxo
A grey goose!
Oops. I forgot Phase 10…awesome card game that gets everyone yelling.
I hope you really are planning that beach vacation. We’ll be doing that before long, but I don’t think I’ll be packing anything unusual. I like your list.